Turkey Trot & Tasty Treats

What better way to celebrate Thanksgiving than with three of the things I'm most thankful for: family, running & pie.

The Bittner family always does an annual turkey trot 5k on Thanksgiving morning. That is, everyone but Johann my lazy brother who sleeps in.  This year, my mom "forgot" to register us. It's rumored that she saw the temperature estimates for this morning and decided it was too cold... Regardless, the women of the Bittner family never let anything stand in the way of this traditional run. I say women because my dad caught my brother's laziness (quite deadly disease) and retired to the kitchen to prepare the meal. 

Advantages of not running in an official, organized turkey trot: (1) you save $30 and (2) you can run whenever you want. Taking full advance of #2, my mom and I ran at 11 am when the temperature warmed up to a scorching 26 degrees. Quite lovely. The colors of the Indiana fall leaves made up for the numbness of my face and ears. Even ran into a few fiends along the 5k path in my neighborhood. Best part? Ran into my mom (quite literally hehe) and we exchanged high-fives. Truly a fun mother-daughter experience. Braving the elements to burn off enough calories to eat multiple helpings of my dad's delicious Thanksgiving meal. 

For dessert, I decided to make a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. For the record, this was my first pie. Ever. Honestly I'm more of a decorator than a baker. I stay away from the wisking and the mixing and the measuring and gravitate towards the frosting and the decorating. But this year was gonna be different. 

I found a recipe online and followed the directions. And guess what? I did it!!  It ended up sweet, savory and breathtaking. The Jim Beam procured a strong scent and flavor even after baking in the oven. Overall, a great recipe to try out. Maybe I can be a baker AND a decorator!

Here's the recipe:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bourbon-chocolate-pecan-pie

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Mary

Beautiful Indiana running landscape

Chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Nom.