Keep Calm & Grill On

Sometimes life doesn't go the way we want it to go. I'm convinced that's why we have exercise and barbecue.

Take for instance how I discovered my absolute favorite restaurant in Chicago: Lillie's Q. A friend of mine took me on a first date there. We didn't work out. Perhaps because my heart was stolen by another: their pulled-pork sandwich topped with assorted BBQ sauces. I was awed by appetizers of oysters & hush puppies, cooked to perfection. Was I impressed? Absolutely. Any guy who takes me to a delicious, authentic BBQ restaurant automatically wins my heart. 

This was Saturday. The following Thursday, the water heater exploded and the place burnt down...

I was deeply-troubled. What a tease my visit had been! I would have to wait weeks (even months!!) until it reopened. 

After I returned to Chicago in August (was in Manhattan this summer), I was delighted to hear that Lillie's Q was finally reopened. I ventured off to Wicker Park the first opportunity I had. I was met with the fantastic flavors of the slow-roasted pork between the toasted buns that had haunted my dreams for oh so long. I tried the mac & cheese, the speciality fries and even the cornbread. A few friends accompanied me on the expedition, soon becoming as obsessed as I am with Lillie's Q. 

My parents came to visit 6 weeks later and I knew where I had to take them. I got to sample a few of my dad's slow-roasted ribs. One word: Amazing. 

That was the night I also had three of the best dessert dishes I have ever tried in my life:
- Drunken Pumpkin Ice Cream: pumpkin ice cream with bourbon
- Bread pudding with warm chocolate bourbon sauce
- Shortcake with cranberry red wine toppings

On that day in February, I was dining with the love of my life for the first time. I'm not talking about the guy. If you want the best barbecue place in Chicago (if not the Midwest) you need to stop by Lillie's Q in Wicker Park. We aren't exclusive so I'm happy to share. Life never seems to work out perfectly but you'll never know who (or what) you'll miss out on when you aren't looking. 

Keep calm & grill on. 

Mary

Pictured are the three unbelievable desserts mentioned above.