My Silent Sunday

The Lakeshore path in Chicago is one of my top ten favorite places to run.  It's peaceful & desolated in the winter yet crowded & filled with excitement in the summer. As soon as it gets above 60 degrees in the spring, Chicagoans rush to the beaches. The crashing waves of the agitated lake soothe the thoughts of many runners, walkers and nature-adventurers alike.

I run by the lake whenever I get stressed or frustrated. I ran by the lake when my grandfather passed away. The path for me is an escape from everyday problems. It's a time to reflect upon mistakes, sorrows & predicaments. 

They say college is a time for finding yourself. The miles between Hyde Park and downtown along the lakefront have helped me grow as a person. Sometimes I stop mid-run and sit on the huge rocks lining the lake. How lucky I am to be living. How lucky I am to be thriving in a world that constantly throws obstacles and negativity into our lives. I'm fortunate to have such a powerful and thought-provoking place to keep me grounded in a world of uncertainty. 

People ask why I enjoy running so much. My run Sunday proved my rationale true, yet once again. Running release all tension. It allows you to relax and feel accomplished. Although I was dreading it, my 6 mile long run Sunday was quiet. I ran without music for the first time in months. I could hear my breathing, my struggle to inhale the cold air. As much as I love running to Taylor Swift and whatever else comes on shuffle, the silence was a new challenge. It was a pleasant break from the typical music blaring from my iPhone headphones, disrupting true self reflection. Try it sometime. You'll never discover what you've been tuning out otherwise. 

Mary