The Star of Chicago ⭐️

During the Christmas season, we celebrate the journey of three wise men following the great Star of Bethlehem.  Likewise, my friend Matt and I went adventuring last Monday to Wicker Park in search of the Star of Chicago: Big Star.

I had been to Big Star once before in the summertime when the patio wasn't filled with frostbite and Christmas trees for sale.  The lights strung around the restaurant now brought a holiday cheer.  This was Matt's first visit and I knew he wouldn't be disappointed.  We were there in celebration, to ward away the traditional case of Monday blues.

My first visit, I split the chips & guac appetizer with a friend.  The avocado was fresh and there was the perfect amount of Serrano pepper included to make it zesty and flavorful.  The grilled pineapple in the taco al pastor was delicious.  Even the thought of combining pork, pineapple and onions in a single taco still makes my mouth water.  I concluded my meal with the walking taco, an item that I was a little unsure about at first.  Walking tacos reminded me of high school basketball games, mystery meat thrown in a bag of Fritos with unusually bright yellow cheese sauce.  The walking taco, however, was in a whole different league than any of the walking tacos I had ever had before.  Big Star's walking taco is the Lebron James of walking tacos.  The toppings were flavorful and fresh, the chili sauce with the perfect amount of spice and kick. 

This time, Matt and I sat at the bar and evaluated their famous margaritas. I opted for the Big Star margarita while he tried the classic version. Both were very strong but delightfully combined the lunazul blanco with natural citrus flavors. All in all, the margaritas were a delectable and refreshing way to conclude Moday. They definitely took a bite out of the cold on the journey back to Hyde Park!

Looking forward to going again and sharing the joy of Big Star with all my friends and family. 

Mary

Big Star's famous taco sign
Big Star Margarita