Tamales & Turbo Kickboxing

Determined to escape from the Netflix slump holding me hostage for the past 24 hours, I decided to try a Turbo Kick class at the local YMCA.  I have taken Zumba classes there before, a few step classes even, but this would be my first cardio kickboxing experience at the Y.  I was informed that it would be different than your average cardio kickboxing class.  Modern dance music would integrate dance moves into the kicks and punches.  Sounded interesting.  Even dragged my mom into it...

Midway through the burpees and jumping jacks and a move called "grabbing the firehose" (??), I looked over to my mom.  She obviously wasn't having as much fun as me but granted she was doing the whole workout at her age and with her knees.  The workout class was strenuous yet it also conformed to those who could only withstand less impact.  The kicks and punches provided with important stress relief.  Meredith, the instructor, made a joke that actually made a lot of sense: think of the last guy who treated you badly and you'll be given the strength to pack some power in your punch. Watch out boys.

Afterwards, I grabbed a quick 4 mile run outside on my favorite trail in Indianapolis, the Monon Trail.  Running on it still reminds me of high school long-distance track workouts, running with my best friends who consistently pushed the pace even on easy days.  Funny how it still seems like yesterday although it's been almost a couple years..

After the fairly long workout, my mom coerced me into trying a new tamale restaurant in Indianapolis although we had already eaten tamales earlier this past week.

Upon walking into the Tamaleria Lupitas Tamale Shop, we were met with the delicious and savory smells of the tamales.  The lady at the counter was very friendly and helpful as we navigated the menu to decide what to order.  Although I am fairly proficient in Spanish, it was convenient that they also offered a menu in English.  My mom and I sampled three different variations of tamales.  The first was a bean and cheese tamale, the second a spinach and cheese tamale, and the third was a chicken tamale with red sauce.  All three tasted delectable and authentic.  We finished our meal by splitting a sweeter tamale with pineapple.  The pineapple tamale included brown sugar and coconut (or at least we thought it tasted like it did..)  Probably the most unique tamale that I have ever tasted and I was not disappointed with my decision to try it.

Overall, the Tamaleria Lupitas Tamale Shop is a very friendly, casual place to grab authentic tamales in Indianapolis. I definitely look forward to returning and hopefully this time they will not be sold out of choco flan!

Mary



Authentic, delicious tamales