Girl and the Goat

Three months: the length of time in a financial quarter, the length of time for your favorite NBA team to gradually dissolve into a team that may lose in the first round of playoffs, or the length of time it takes to get a reservation for a reasonable dinner time at Girl and the Goat? The answer? All three are true. 

Some hope remains. I was able to get reservations the day before by sacrificing my typical weekday schedule and settling for a Tuesday night dinner at 10:30 pm. As for the Pacers? Hopefully Game 3 was a wake up call....

But enough about my broken Hoosier heart. 

I have been wanting to visit Girl and the Goat for a very long time. It's a trendy, posh restaurant that everyone raves about. How could a food critic living in Chicago not have experienced the culinary extravaganza known by many as a forward and delicious hot spot on West Hubbard. The location itself is predominately associated with fine dining and revolutionary cusine. Across the street is Au Cheval, one of my favorite restaurants so far. I was also already dazzled with the mouth-watering food served at Little Goat Diner, the more casual, diner-ish relative of Girl and the Goat. When my friend invited me for dinner on Tuesday, I immediately said yes despite the obscure time and an early practice the next morning. I couldn't wait to try the fantastic small plates that I had been reading all about for months. 

I'm happy to report that Girl and the Goat is indeed delicious. But sadly, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. I felt that the restaurant itself was a little overhyped and that although some dishes were superb, I was underwhelmed by the dessert selection. I spent months imagining just how great that dinner would be and although some dishes were very well done, it would've been more satisfying without the comparison to the idealized version that had been ruminating in my head since I was first told of this magical place. Perhaps this is why many of the top Chicago restaurants are shifting to a no-reservation policy (ie. Au Cheval, DMK, Ada Street after 6 pm). I definitely recommend coming here at least once though. It's a fantastic experience and the food is very exotic and different. Where else can you have octopus, goat, scallops & pig face all in one sitting?  The waitstaff were very friendly and attentive to our needs, especially refilling our water glasses, which was great. Our waiter even offered to help cure me of my hiccups although I didn't have any. Still unclear whether that was some interesting and unique attempt at a pickup line.. Ha. 

Below are the plates that we shared and my general thoughts on them. They rotate fairly regularly but if you go visit soon, I definitely recommend the grilled baby octopus, the goat empanadas, the wood oven roasted pig face and the roasted cauliflower. Enjoy!

Mary





Grilled baby octopus

This dish featured fresh, baby octopus grilled to perfection, mixed with exotic ingredients including guanciale and pistachios. An assortment of beans added a lovely green color to the dish. The mixture was lightly flavored with lemon vinaigrette which provided a citrus compliment to the fresh seafood taste of the octupi. An adventurous, colorful twist on octopus and overall, the grilling brought out the best in the flavoring of the baby octupi. 


Ghums n' roses

Our bread selection was served with rosemary honey butter and apple sauce, an unusual pairing that introduced an excellent pairing of sweet and savory.  The hearty bread was a nice way to start off the meal, especially since we were both hungry from such a late reservation. 

Fried naked cowboy

The Fried Naked Cowboy features fried oysters, egg salad and capers. Beyond being aesthetically pleasing, the plate is the ultimate bite-sized oyster dish. It literally is "bite-sized," served on four different spoons- great for sharing.


Fried pickles

An interesting take on a fairly common dish, the fried pickles at Girl and the Goat were served with shallot aioli and yuzu harissa. The dish was lightly breaded and featured crisp, succulent pickles. The shallot aioli was savory and creamy while the yuzu Harissa was spicy and exotic. Good but not particularly special. 

Goat empanadas

Quite possibly my favorite dish here, the goat empanadas were topped with marinated sheep feta and pickled golden beets. The dish was drizzled with tzatziki sauce. I love feta cheese and the marination added an unique twist on an otherwise simple ingredient. 

Wood oven roasted pig face

This dish combined the rich, smoky flavors of pig with the traditional rendition of a sunny side egg. Seasoned with tamarind and cilantro, the pork and egg combination was drizzled in red-wine maple and decorated with potato stix. Definitely one of my favorite plates of the meal. Remember to ask your server for how they obtain the pig face if you are interested (and can stomach it). Our waiter gave us a fairly detailed description that soothed my worries about accidentally finding a snout hidden under the egg...haha. 

Roasted cauliflower

My favorite vegetarian option here, the roasted cauliflower, is amazing. The mix included the fresh, natural flavors of cauliflower with the strong flavors of pickled peppers and the crunchiness of pine nuts. The dish is seasoned with mint, provided a sharp contrast to the spice of the peppers.  Definitely has a nice kick to it, especially if you like jalapeƱo peppers. Topped with Parmesan cheese, this plate is perfect for dinner the following day as leftovers. Trust me.  

"Coffeecake" semifreddo

This dessert is the ultimate combination of my favorite things about breakfast: coffee and fresh grapefruit. The scoop of coffee ice cream is served with biscuit-like cookies and ruby red grapefruit. Cacao nib beans adorn the dish and provide a necessary crunch. The bitterness of the coffee meshes well with the sweetness of the cookies and the tartness of the grapefruit. Dessert well done but nothing out of the ordinary. 

Plantain cake

The second dessert was definitely underwhelming. The plantain cake featured cream cheese-chocolate chip gelato that was overpowered by the bland taste of the overly moist cake. I was unable to taste the supposed flavors of passion fruit and left hand milk stout in the dish. Overall, the dessert was a disappointment. Save yourself the time and money and grab dessert elsewhere.