Santullo's Eatery

Getting a table for dinner in Wicker Park on a Saturday night is basically impossible. Most of the prime restaurants have waits longer than an hour and refuse to take reservations. So what happens when you are very hungry and tired of walking? You become adventurous and pick a random place and cross your fingers.

I was having dinner with two friends, one of which is the pickiest eater that I have ever met. This is the reason I end up eating burgers and pizza with her so often.  Can't say I complain.

We had originally intended to go to Piece Brewery & Pizzeria but the line was absolutely insane.  When we walked by Santullo's Eatery on North Ave and smelled the delicious aroma of NY-style pizza, I knew it had the potential to be a winner.  And it was.

I live in Chicago so sometimes I get tired of deep-dish pizza.  I love the appeal of the thin crust, huge slice pizza that my grandparents and I enjoy so much.  They grew up in Brooklyn and they have taught me everything I know about folding the piece in half for easier consumption.  We waited in line to order and could only collectively decide as a group on the cheese pizza.  The college budget doesn't allow for many toppings..

The guy at the register said the pizza would be out in about forty minutes but it only took twenty.  Pretty clutch since we were running out of small talk ideas.

The pizza was HUGE.  I preface this statement that all three of us agree that the pizza looks abnormally larger in the photo due to the camera angle.  The pieces are ginormous but are only moderately filling due to the thinness of the pizza.  The traditional Italian pizza flavors were amazing and the cheese-to-sauce ratio was optimal.  Overall, a fantastic pizza for a great price and minimum wait time.

I still have yet to try Piece but so far, Santullo's Eatery is my favorite pizza place in Wicker Park and maybe even Chicago.  A great place to grab some NY-style pizza, catch up with friends and not die in starvation while waiting for a table on Saturday night.

Cheers,
Mary

Cheese Pizza & Picky Friend


Before

After