Flavors of Indianapolis

Twice in three days. (And no I'm not referring to how often LeBron flops..) I'm referring to how often I visited my favorite pizza restaurant in Indiana over break. Everyone has their hometown favorite restaurants. Because I live in Chicago now, from time to time I find myself craving the distinctive flavors of my go-to places in Indianapolis. These cravings usually consist of Puccini's Smiling Teeth Pizza. A trip home means a trip to Puccini's. It's where my family ate after rec soccer games growing up and has now become the "Mary's home!" restaurant.  A great choice to dine with family or impress a first date. 

I've always been a huge fan of pizza. Growing up, I was reluctant to branch out from cheese but since have become more adventurous in my topping selection. I was introduced to my absolute favorite pizza topping combination by a good friend of mine that loves Puccini's almost as much as I do. The Campfire. Typing those two words makes my stomach growl as I sit in a Chicago coffee shop, waiting for an acceptable time to show up for class.  I'm surprised I haven't had to wipe any drool off of my iPad yet as I sit here looking at the scrumptious, jaw-dropping photos of the oozy Gorgonzola cheese blend and pink, succulent smoked sausage pieces. The pizza features a sweet onion marmalade and is adorned with pieces of fresh rosemary.  It's my absolute favorite pizza ever and one of the restaurant's signature pies. Afterwards, I always relapse into a pizza-induced comma and am perfectly content with doing so.     

But make sure you leave room for dessert! Indianapolis is home to a fantastic cupcake shop that is almost next door to Puccini's if you visit the 82nd street location. The Flying Cupcake is a local Indianapolis cupcake shop that features fabulous flavors, including my personal favorite "The Hungry Lumberjack!" which features a French toast cupcake with maple-syrup infused cream cheese frosting, syrup drizzle and bacon.  It's like breakfast for dessert! So many different flavors to choose from and their icing is fantastic. 

Indianapolis is home to many hidden gems and I hope that one day you experience what makes the Crossroads of America so tasty! Because what's better than great pizza, followed by breakfast for dessert? Plus, you'll be hanging out in one of the best cities in America. Home of the Colts, Pacers and my man Lance Stephenson. 

Forever an inDINEapolis girl,

Mary


Campfire pizza

The Hungry Lumberjack!