YouTube & Eating Like Norwegians

As I was stuck inside by the -11 degree F temperatures in Chicago (with wind chill as low as -25), I knew I would have to be inventive to get a good workout in.

The gym was out of the question.  Apparently the university does not qualify the gym as an "essential" service to students. I would disagree...but anyhow the treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and in my case, basketball courts, were unavailable.

Time for YouTube to save the day.

I think we often forget how great the Internet is especially in sticky (frigid) situations like this.  In a matter of seconds, I was presented with thousands of hours of Zumba, dance cardio & kickboxing workout routines.  Sure, you have to sift through a couple to exclude the ones with impossible dance moves & body rolls but it's easy to find an instructor or song that you enjoy. You get a great workout, adrenaline rush and laugh (if you look nearly as silly as I look when I'm dancing to Beyonce..).

You just have to think outside the box (or in this case, gym).  Although if the gym remains closed tomorrow, I may have to run stairs in my building..

Here are some of my favorite videos:





FOOD THOUGHT OF THE WEEK:

I was cleaning my room and discovered my great Norwegian cookbook, a gift from my grandparents.  As I flipped through the pages, I saw a couple recipes for smørrebrød.  A smørrebrød is an open faced sandwich, typically on dark rye bread and is the typical eaten for lunch by Norwegians.  Rye bread is high in fiber and vitamins and it fulfills a high portion of your protein consumption in a low-meat diet.  This week, I am opting to have a smørrebrød at least once a day.  Will share with you photos from my creations! The open-faced sandwich is healthier for you and will take a bit to get used to but I'm ready to "eat as the Norwegians do" (minus the fish...I don't really trust the dining hall with fish preparation..).

Mary


Example of a Norwegian smørrebrød with easy to assemble ingredients like lettuce, hard-boiled egg & tomato