The Pursuit of Chowder

I discovered recently that a friend of mine also has a food blog and writes under the pen name, the Chowder Chaser. Needless to say, a joint expedition was in order.

I gotta be honest, being from the Midwest, I don't actively go out and seek great seafood. I got to taste some quality lobster and fish while I was in Manhattan this summer but I've lived the past 19 years in a land-locked state. In Indiana, the beach is Lake Michigan. I know, it's pathetic. 

The Chowder Chaser is from Vermont and is experienced with the fresh seafood flavors that my Hoosier upbringing deprived me of tasting. His beloved clam chowder was subsequently my coveted corn chowder. 

My friends had given rave reviews about Fish Bar, a DMK restaurant in Lakeview conveniently off the brown line. Their sister restaurant, DMK Burger Bar, had stolen my heart many months ago but this Saturday night would be a new adventure. I was replacing my typical burger with fish, furthering my attempts to consume more seafood and less meat in typical Scandinavian fashion. 

The snowy weather made the promise of delicious clam chowder more savory and appetizing. The interior of the restaurant is unique and welcoming. The bar set-up evoked a romantic and intimate vibe which allowed my friends and I to bond over the scrumptious seafood that we would quickly consume. We ordered a bowl each of their famous clam chowder and opted to split both the oyster po'boy and the Mexican shrimp cocktail. The chowder arrived and we went silent. After a quick photo and discussion over speciality oyster crackers straight from the hometown of the Chowder Chaser himself (he was extremely pleased), we dug in. 

One word: phenomenal. The chowder was slightly spicy, adding a kick to the typical flavors of fresh clam chowder. The ingredients were fresh and combined well with one another. The chowder was neither too hot nor too cold. (Goldilocks & the three bears would've loved it) Overall, a solid option and may have changed my opinion on soup altogether. Previously have never been a big fan of soup but if I were to come here again, I would order the clam chowder in a heartbeat. 

The Mexican shrimp cocktail consisted of  mini shrimp in a vegetable salsa served with tortilla chips. Interesting combination of seafood and spice. The Mexican element presented a completely different approach to shrimp that I would have never come up with. Overall, it was decent but I am hesitant whether I would order again. 

The oyster po'boy was my second favorite. The toasted bun combined with the meaty oyster was fantastic. Topped with a slightly zesty coleslaw, the oyster po'boy was a perfect complement to a bowl of clam chowder. 

For dessert, my friends and I split a slice of their key lime pie which was recommended by our polite and friendly waitress. The lime flavor was crisp and tart, contrasting perfectly with the crispy, sweet taste of the graham cracker crust. A perfect ending to a delicious meal of seafood. 

Fish Bar is definitely another treasure owned and managed by DMK. If you can't decide what to eat, I'd advise a visit to Lakeview and once there you can decide whether you want a hearty and artisanal burger or fresh and flavorful seafood. Either way you can't go wrong!

Happy eating Chicago,
Mary

Famous clam chowder

Mexican Shrimp cocktail

Oyster Po'Boy