Learning How to Swim

This week is a busy week and the only time I have free to workout is in the morning. Try motivating yourself to run in sub-zero temperatures not including windchill at 7 in the morning. Not happening.


Instead, I have taken the opportunity to focus on an area of my fitness that I have been wanting to improve for some time: my swimming ability. 

It's important to note that I do know how to swim. Not well but enough to save my life. I have future aspirations of participating in triathlons after college so I've been wanting to improve my speed in the pool for a while. Until now, I would rather run outside than swim laps. However, the pool is quite appealing now that it's cold and snowy outside, especially in the morning. 

Swimming is exhausting. I managed to get in a good 30 minutes of breast stroke, backstroke and a few feeble attempts at freestyle. I'm dedicated to improving my freestyle and will continue to work on it until my strokes look less like drowning and more like actual swimming. Will keep you updated and in the meantime I will continue swimming in the lane closest to the lifeguard. Not sure how awake the lifeguards are though at 6:45 in the morning..

Have any suggestions for me? Any tips for improving my strokes? Feel free to email me at maryrbittner@gmail.com. I'd appreciate any advice since I am fairly new to swimming. 

Mary