GT Fish & Oyster

"He was a bold man that first ate an oyster." 
~ Jonathan Swift
~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

I love my friend Matt but I have to be honest, sometimes he is unpredictable in his decision-making.  For example, he invited me to his house in Wisconsin to spend the weekend with his family last Mother’s Day but forgot to tell his mother I was coming..  And if that was not embarrassing enough, he sat there silently while I struggled to explain who I was (Matt’s friend from school) to his mother who was either (a) excited that Matt brought home what she assumed was his new girlfriend or (b) horrified that she now had a guest staying in her house for the weekend without any notice.   Needless to say, when I found out that he was in charge of planning a dinner for the entire senior class of his fraternity, I was a bit skeptical.  And my skepticism was not fueled by lack of trust; I completely trust and consider him one of my dearest and closest male friends on campus.  He just has a track-record of some interesting and unusual situations. 

I have to admit that I was wrong and he exceeded any expectations that I, or any other guest at the dinner for that matter, had prior to the event.

GT Fish & Oyster is one of Chicago’s greatest restaurants, specializing in fresh seafood that is famous among the Chicago cuisine community.  The restaurant has a classy interior and is perfect for celebrations and special occasions.  This dinner was my first visit to GT and I doubt it’ll be my last.  The food and atmosphere were spectacular and set the perfect tone before another great jazz night.  We were seated in a private room which was wonderful for such an intimate gathering.  As we walked in, we were led behind the kitchen and down a back staircase to a secluded and cozy dining area where our tables were tastefully decorated and set with beautifully printed place-cards.  The meal featured 11 courses which included a wide array of appetizers, sides and desserts.  The dishes were mostly seafood- tuna, shrimp, crab, oysters from both coasts of the United States- although there were also pork sliders that were hearty and delicious.  When the first course of oysters were served, most diners looked anxiously around to model the perfect way to eat them.  I was definitely one of these diners..

Overall, the dinner was an absolute success which was only enhanced by the friendly service and amazing location of GT Fish & Oyster.  I would definitely recommend it for your next special occasion- the staff goes above and beyond to make your experience as personal as possible.

Cheers to you Matt.

Mary


Decadent Dark Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sorbet