Fabulous Fondue

"Fondue is a lot like weed, at a party everyone hangs out by the pot" 

 Cheese fondue- classy, elegant and the perfect party-pleaser.  After researching recipes on Pinterest & receiving step-by-step instructions from my French uncle (my father rolled his eyes at the amount of wine that he recommended), I was ready for the challenge.  Three bottles of wine, a couple pounds of cheese & the finest assortment of vegetables, French bread and sausages that can be purchased in the great state of Indiana.      

The baguettes were sliced to the perfect thickness, vegetables roasted in the optimal proportion of balsamic vinegar and olive oil,  and the sausages cooked to... (well, my friend Ian cooked them so they were a little raw inside).  I even had my mother's vintage fondue set with color-coded skewers.  The remaining French bread slices were toasted in the oven and topped with homemade bruschetta, providing a fantastic option for any cheese-averse guests.

I was mainly concerned with lighting of the burner but luckily my friend Ian took care of this task.  The pyromaniac-gene from my father must have skipped my generation and I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to hold sole-responsibility for lighting the entire apartment building on fire. 
(That would be our neighbors...) 

The final task was the melting of the cheese and the warming of the wine.  Our entire apartment soon smelled like white wine, swiss & gruyere cheese, and Nutella from the frosting on the cupcakes my other roommate prepared.  To be honest, it smelled a little like what I imagine heaven to smell like.

There is an old proverb:
"Cheese, wine, and friends must be old to be good."  
I guess I am too young to know whether this is true or not but I can assure you that my party was still a success.  But then again Charles Dickens did say, "To a young heart, everything is fun."

Until next time,
Mary

The Spread