Born & Bred to be Fed (German Food)

As a child, I developed a deep love for spätzle.  For those who are unfamiliar with German cuisine, spätzle are a type of egg noodles topped with butter or other toppings.  I have fond memories of my dad making spätzle and bratwurst therefore I was very excited to dine at my favorite German restaurant in Chicago this weekend while in the Loop.

The Berghoff is the #1 authentic German restaurant in Chicago.  By far.  There's a reason why I chose it as my birthday restaurant this past year.  Every visit I have gotten something different and have been equally impressed and never disappointed.

My meal began with complimentary Pumpernickel bread that was soft & fresh. Pumpernickel bread combines the health benefits of rye bread and sourdough bread.  Fun fact: It was first introduced in the Westphalia region of Germany therefore it is the perfect appetizer for an authentic German meal!

My friend and I decided to split two appetizers for a lighter dinner.  We ordered the Berghoff Casserole, spätzle with creamed spinach, gouda cheese sauce, applewood bacon gratinee and rye crostini with celery sticks on the side.  It transformed my childhood favorite into a sophisticated culinary delight.  The combination of creamed spinach, gouda cheese and applewood bacon gratinee complimented the egg noodles to perfection.  Very well done.  Probably my favorite appetizer (if not item) on the menu so far.

The second appetizer ordered was the stuffed mushrooms.  Oven roasted mushroom caps filled with Berghoff ’s famous creamed spinach and Parmesan cheese.  I was unaware before reading the menu that the Berghoff is famous for their creamed spinach but after trying the mushrooms and the casserole, I can understand why.  The mushroom caps were presented in an attractive fashion and were garnished with what appeared to be dried onion sticks.  

Overall, an enjoyable and filling sample of appetizers. The nutritional value of the oven roasted mushroom caps, the creamed spinach and the pumpernickel bread accounted for the unhealthiness of the creamy gouda cheese and savory applewood bacon.  Will definitely be revisiting the Berghoff sometime soon for my annual dose of famous Berghoff creamed spinach in hopes of attaining exceptional strength like Popeye. Fortunately for me, my strength-giving spinach is accompanied by spätzle, gouda cheese and applewood bacon gratinee hehe.

Glücklich essen. [Happy Eating]

Mary


Berghoff Casserole

Stuffed Mushrooms